Monday, April 28, 2008
So I may actually graduate after all. ;)
Monday, April 21, 2008
I still have $2 left on the giftcard. I guess that's what they call better than free. ;)
Monday, April 14, 2008
1) Combine a buy-this-get-that-free sale with a rebate. Walgreens recently had certain razors on sale and you could get a free shave gel for buying the razor. I had manufacturer's rebates for the razors. So I got two free razors and two free shave gels for the cost of tax.
2) Combine buy-one-get-one-free coupons with a rebate. A couple of months ago I had a buy-one-get-one-free coupon for Glade candles. I also had a Glade candle manufacturer's rebate, so I got two for the cost of tax.
Next time you find a good rebate, wait a little while until you buy the item. Keep an eye on the sale ads and you might get an even better deal. My free stuff stockings idea was a hit at Christmas, so I'm keeping my eyes open and trying to find all the freebies that I can.
Friday, April 11, 2008
At the risk of being thrown out of the frugal blogging community, I've decided to share thoughts on clothes purchasing. I love thrift shops and yard sales. LOVE. But not for clothes. Now, that doesn't mean that I don't give it a try. I have zero problems with secondhand clothing if I could find some that I like. And that, my frugal friends, is the problem. I am a picky wearer of clothing. Gasp! And much of what is available to me secondhand is not to my taste.
I want to make the argument that you CAN find clothes frugally in retail stores. For example, in the last six months I have purchased lined wool pants for $5, sundresses for $3, casual tops for $3 and under, and so on. These were all on sale racks in regular stores. You just have to know where and how to shop.
Stores with some of the best sales for cheap cheap cheap:
1) J.C. Penney- wait until they have green clearance stickers
2) Express- wait until their clearance is an additional % off
3) Marshalls and T.J. Maxx- depending on location; some get hit worse than others
4) Rue 21- you'll have to look past the navel-baring tops and pregnancy-smock looking tops to the normal-looking items on the clearance racks
5) Old Navy- wait until there is an extra % off of clearance
6) Outlet malls (seriously!)- go straight to the clearance racks, and make sure you check online for printable coupons before you go.
7) Target- look at their 75% off racks
8) For the occasional pricier buy, I like J. Crew sales (wait for an additional 20% off clearance AND a free shipping code) and Neiman Marcus Last Call Clearance (wait for a free shipping code). I assure you, these are occasional. ;)
I also sign up for mailing lists to favorite stores and have two store credit cards that offer free shipping, gift cards, and gifts on my birthday. Several times a year I get $10 off any purchase coupons for J.C. Penney. I'm also going to get a similar coupon from Van Heusen for taking a survey.
This doesn't mean that I will stop searching through thrift store racks any time soon. Sometimes they yield great stuff, like a recent Liz Claiborne no-iron cotton button down for seventy-five cents. If you can't seem to find those deals as often as you'd like, start stepping into retail stores. You might be surprised at what you find.
Friday, April 04, 2008
Wednesday, April 02, 2008
I still shop at Aldi for groceries, get free stuff at Walgreens (like above), use rebates and coupons regularly, send off for freebies, use free gift cards, use cloth napkins instead of paper towels, use cloth grocery bags instead of buying bags at Aldi, stock up when there's a sale on frequently used items, use a prepaid cell phone, take old ink cartridges to Staples for $3 coupons, take advantage of Walgreens' free ink cartridge refill days and occasional free photos, get free CDs from Swap a CD and free books from Paperback Swap, etc.
I realized then that the reason I can't remember doing frugal things daily is because this frugal way of life has become second nature. I don't have to think about it as much because I have done it for so long that these habits have become permanent.
That makes me happy. :)